Sunday, August 30, 2009

What To Do With All Those Tomatoes...Margherita Pizza, of Course!!

Ahhh, the deep, rich red of a juicy, ripe tomato. There's nothing like fresh garden tomatoes in salad, BLT's and tacos.


I start my plants from heirloom seeds every Spring. My mom's father was in the Navy and brought them back to the USA in the 1940's. A few generations later a sampling of the seeds ended up in my hands, and I've been keeping them going for over 10 years.


But, what's a person to do when the tomatoes ripen ALL AT THE SAME TIME? One of my newest recipe finds is for Margherita Pizza. And, boy is it ever delicious.


My parents joined us this afternoon for a fresh pizza right out of the oven. Believe me when I say that "I am no cook. And, this recipe is really, really, really easy!" I've included it for you at the end of this blog post.


The bubbly, warm pizza...ready for us to dig in. G-o-i-n-g....


Going.....


Gone!



Margherita Pizza
Adapted from recipe found in the magazine "CuisineAtHome".
*Preheat oven to 500 degrees F.
*Take one Boboli - already made, thin pizza crust and place it on a stone baking dish.
*Dice your garden tomatoes. Add enough over the crust to cover the Boboli, leaving about 1/2" edge around the pizza.
*Thinly slice 3-4 ounces of mozarella cheese, and cover the tomatoes.
*Drizzle olive oil over the assembled pizza.
*Bake in oven for 10-12 minutes
*Chop fresh basil leaves and sprinkle over the pizza when it comes out of the oven.
Eat and enjoy!

The magazine also stated that "The story of Margherita pizza is a colorful one. In 1889, Queen Margherita visited Naples. In her honor, a bread maker dressed up his flatbread to reveal the Italian colors - red tomatoes, white mozzarella, and green basil. Suffice to say, it was a big hit and the rest is history." (NOTE: I cannot tell you what month or year of the magazine the article or recipe was in. I tore the article out of the magazine years ago, and the pages do not have a reference of date. Sorry!)

Do you have a great, EASY recipe for using up all of those garden tomatoes? Please share by adding it in your comment below.

3 comments:

  1. Cheryl,

    This is an easy fresh sauce for pasta. It isn't good to store - just make it while your pasta cooks. We like it over gemelli, but it is also great on linguini. It takes about 8 minutes to make.

    Amounts for ingredients are forgiving and vary depending on how much you want to make!

    1/2 stick more or less of butter
    tomatoes - fresh from garden - 4?
    cilantro - 1/4 Cup or so
    salt
    pepper
    lime juice (about 1 Tbsp.)
    parmesean cheese to taste

    Saute butter and cilantro in saucepan for a few minutes. Add diced tomatoes and salt and pepper to taste. Squirt in lime juice. Cook over medium heat for a few minutes until tomatoes release their juice. Add a few tablespoons of Parmesean cheese. Serve over hot pasta!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Julie...that sounds like a GREAT recipe. Anything with tomatoes and cilantro has got to be good. I've got plenty of tomatoes right now, so I'm sure to give it a try. Thanks for sharing it!.....C

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! That Pizza looks great, you can be proud of yourself! And believe me, it makes you look like a GREAT cook!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comment. I appreciate your feedback~