Saturday, April 25, 2009

The Olde Pink House - it's for the birds!

A few weeks ago my husband announced that he was re-building a dilapidated, three story birdhouse that was falling apart in our shed garden. The existing birdhouse had seen it's day and needed to come down. He decided that he was going to build the new one all out of scrap wood. 'Works for me', I thought. And then later he mentioned that he was going to use up some pink paint we had in the basement. 'Sounds good', I responded.

Now, even though hubby says he's not an artist, and does a reasonable attempt at drawing stick figures, I think he is quite the creative guy. And, this birdhouse project is a perfect example.

You see, the The Olde Pink House restaurant in Savannah, Georgia is one of my hubby's and my favorite restaurants. The exterior is a pink stucco facade. On the first floor is fine dining, but we enjoy the tavern dining on the ground floor - it's so very charming, the menu is divine, and it's where the locals go. We cannot wait to go back and spend date night there.

So, when he brought the finished birdhouse up from his wood shop, it was painted a beautiful coral pink. Sweetly written in the top peak - "The Olde Pink House". Then above each of the three birdhouse holes:
  • Ground floor hole: "Locals"

  • Center floor hole: "Jacket and Tie Required"

  • Loft floor hole: "Private Residence"

Pretty creative, eh?!

It will be interesting to see what birds decide to rent out the house over the summer. One thing is for sure, we can enjoy our own 'pink house' until we can get back to Savannah again.

3 comments:

  1. I love this post! I believe that everybody has an artist inside; ready to create! Your hubby did a great job...very clever. Love your Blog!

    Kimberly McDaniel
    http://collectionsofmexico.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm with you - the lower level is the best - especially on a winter night with a fire roaring in the stone fireplace!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good luck putting twilight down over the weekend!!! Wait until you get the next ones o.O

    Melissa

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comment. I appreciate your feedback~